Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Who knew?

Who knew that a 3 1/2 year old needs a helmet when riding a Big Wheel?! Who knew that on a road 100 yards or so long, my little guy has the precision to hit the ONE culvert that seemed impossible to hit?!

I decided to take the boys on a quick walk (since dinner was in the crockpot). I guided the boys into the garage to pick their bike. Luckily, they both chose bikes that have some parental control. Miles chose the Rock, Roll and Ride trike with the push handle and Will chose the Radio Flyer trike with a handle as well!

Off we went up the hill to see the dog who lives up the street. We made it all the way even though steering two trikes in a similar direction without allowing them to tangle is VERY difficult!

We said, 'hello' and made our way back down the hill. Then it happened...

Will's trike started veering off to the left down the incline. It was sort of "Sophie's Choice"-esque (I haven't seen the movie, but the gist is a mom has to choose between her children). My thoughts were racing. Since the hill is not too steep and Miles is able to steer, pedal and brake himself when necessary, I decided to let Miles go quickly righting Will's trike in time to grab Miles if needed.

I did need to .... but I was not able to. As I let Miles go, I used both hands to turn Will's trike back into the right direction. Miles was beginning to veer toward a small culvert about the size of a grocery bag set upright in the ground. Miles' trike drove directly toward the grass in front of the hole, spilling him head-first into the culvert.

There he was with legs kicking, head to waist in the hole, screaming! I steered Will over grabbing Miles by the ankles to lift him out. The blood was pumping pretty badly since he was crying pretty hard.

I had one of those moments you hear about when people lift vehicles or heavy objects off a loved one. I yanked poor Will up off his trike by one arm and got them both on my hips, kicking the trikes into the grass as I ran the 40 yards toward our house. Both boys were screaming; Miles because of the huge gash in his head and Will because I had interrupting his joy ride.

At the ER, they decided numbing and sewing would be more traumatic for Miles so they had me scrub off the dried blood and apply iodine. Then the Dr. scrubbed the wound itself and stapled his head twice to close the wound.

And that was our very first ER trip. Who knew that a little walk could be so eventful?! Who knew I would be so sore from the tension and running down the road with two boys on my hips?! And who knew that Miles would be so brave as his head got stapled with no pain relief?!

No comments:

Post a Comment