Monday, May 18, 2009

Oh Poop!

We headed off to Grammy and Grandpa's yesterday to visit and play for a while. We got out there after some early Sunday naps (just the boys - not me unfortunately). We got there and visited for a little bit when Will headed off to the corner to do his business. At home, we all get really excited and run to the potty to get him interested. To be honest, he's mostly interested in the treats (M&M's) that he gets when he sits. So far, there is not much action. But Miles is a great big brother and he'll 'read" Will Once Upon A Potty while we wait. It's so precious! Because actually, he can't read so he just describes the pictures and uses his own name for the main character ("Miles has a penis for going tee-tee" and "is the potty for a cat to drink out of?? NO!")

Out at Grammy and Grandpa's there is no potty book or little potty so I thought I'd just let Will have his moment in the corner. He doesn't really like to be interrupted so when he started whining I thought he may just be embarassed or disatisfied with the corner he picked. But very quickly, the whimpers turned to actual crying and it's pretty unusual for Will to cry for no reason. His little face turned red and the crying got worse. When I picked him up, I could feel that he was clenching his legs and little hiney as tight as he could and realized he must be backed up. (When Miles was younger and had trouble going we would say, "uh oh, my truck is stuck" from a book we had checked out from the library).

Grammy and I laid Will down on the bed and opened his diaper to check things out. Sure enough, the hole was opened about the size of a quarter and there was a LARGE poop obstruction. I said, "What should I do?" and Grammy, very calmly said, "You're going to have to dig it out" and I said, "With my finger?" and she said, "Yes ..." It was all so casual like we were talking about adding a little more milk to gravy or something ... which is good because inside I was beginning to get freaked out.

I started digging and nothing happened. Will was just screaming so hard that it would do a little turtle head action. Finally, pieces started to crumble until more and more came out. Then finally a pretty large hard-as-a-rock piece came out as I pulled on it! Like a little cat giving birth or something - with Grammy and I cheering Will on.

After that, Will was happy and content again. WHEW! I cloroxed, washed several times and then went to dig for worms in the dirt to try to get that smell off.

A parent's love is something so strange. You find yourself doing things that seem so completely out of your realm of possibility. And then not really thinking too much of it. I sometimes wonder what in the world could possibly be next but I like the surprise too much to really dwell on it for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment