Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sometimes I can't hear Him!

Miles is afraid of bears. Well, during the day he's cautiously excited about bears but at night he is scared of them. He's afraid they'll come into the house or blow our house down like the Big Bad Wolf. He knows now that bears eat berries, leaves and other foods - not people. It doesn't seem to help. Last night Jake prayed with him at bedtime (Miles repeating each phrase) and asked God - who created everything, even bears - to protect us. He stammered through the prayer while his little voice quivered. Jake was patient and gentle with him and then said it was time for bed. Miles wailed for a while so I went up there to double check on him. He asked me all the questions, "What if a bear is still out there? What if he comes to get us?" I asked, "Didn't Daddy pray with you about bears? Do you know that God gave us this house and will protect us inside from the bears?" Miles said, "Yeah but I can't hear him." I asked, "who?" thinking if we couldn't hear the bear that was a REALLY good thing. "God", he said, "I can't always hear Him". I got all teary-eyed. "Me either", I said, "but I know He's there."

Miles put his hand to his ear and said, "Let's listen". We did but there was nothing audible but honestly, at that moment I could feel Him in my heart. "God is always with us whether we feel Him or hear Him or not" I said. "I can't see Him either ... I can't see His eyes or His face" said Miles. "He gave us Jesus to help us know who He is" I said, "Can you feel His arms around you?" Miles said, "No and I can't see them either." I answered, "Well, they're special arms so we can't see them but we know they are there". "Yeah," said Miles, "and when Jesus opens my belly and then closes my belly, I have a door on my belly."

The things they say sometimes bring you to tears because they're so true!
I think the same things sometimes ... I can't see Him. I don't know what His eyes look like. And what kinds of arms does He have? We know that there probably is some fear of the bears but there is also the fact that Miles doesn't want to go to bed at night. So we are patient and understanding and then firm about bedtime. And thankful for moments like these when somehow our own child can say the things that our hearts so often fear themselves ... and the things we don't even know how to say anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment