Thursday, April 23, 2009

Red and Yellow, Black and White ...

Last night Miles and I ran to Wal-Mart before dinner (his Lightning McQueen race car blew a tire). When we got there, we got our things and had to wait in line for a while. The lady in front of us was talking to Miles and we introduced ourselves. She shook his hand and when she did he just looked at her arm. Then he said, "You don't have this color on" and rubbed his arm. I felt the color RED rush to my cheeks since we haven't ever really had an indepth conversation with Miles about people being different colors. I was getting a little nervous about what was next. She said, "What color do I have on"? He said, "Black". She just smiled and asked him what color he had on and he said, "Orange". She laughed but I was curious so I said, "What color do I have on"? He looked at me and said, "Yellow". Still a little nervous, I said, "We are all colors of the rainbow aren't we"? The lady was so nice but I think it tickled her soe she just laughed and laughed. So much so that then Miles turned RED and covered his face with his shirt.

As we walked off to the self-checkout (since the line was too long), Miles said, "Why does she talk like that"? And I wasn't quite ready for another cross-cultural lesson so I just asked, "Like what"? But I don't know if he really has words for what he meant yet ... are there words for it?

I wish I could see the world from his vantage point sometimes. Things are so simple and so black and white (well, black and orange and yellow ... and sometimes red).

No comments:

Post a Comment