Monday, January 25, 2010

Heavens! What a day ...

This morning we decided to play at home with Miles' new toys and to take it easy. Miles had asked me, "Are you going to be mad at me today?" What a sad question! I answered, "I don't ever want to be mad at you - I do get frustrated when you make bad choices" and he seemed fine with that answer. So, I packed extra patience into my heart to make sure I did my best to not get frustrated with mistakes and bad choices.

Mid-morning or so, Miles and I were busy upstairs putting together a foam pirate ship (without instructions) with the hot glue gun. Will was downstairs at the train table playing with a pick-up truck (with no wheels) and the Toy Story characters.

Miles was busy punching out foam pieces and then said, "Will is playing downstairs but he should be up here with us". I am so thankful he did because I think it made me more aware of Will downstairs. Only a few seconds later, I heard a gagging/hacking noise. I perked up and listened again. I heard the same noise again followed by a banging noise. I realize that something was wrong and jumped up. I instinctively jerked the glue gun out of the socket as I ran downstairs so the house didn't burn down. I flew down the stairs to find Will clawing at his mouth. His eyes were wide open and his face was NOT red but sort of blueish.

I grabbed him and threw him over my lap and began to hit his back. It did not help and I knew immediately (remembered immediately) that I needed to do a finger sweep (I am praising God for the requirement to take 1st Aid training at the ELC again this year). I flipped him over and he was not happy with me at all! He was hitting at me and had tears coming out his eyes and was still choking. I tried to sweep his mouth but he kept batting at my hands. Finally, I swept deep enough into the throat that I could feel something. So I swept quickly once more until a little green plastic head came out.

Miles got a Buzz Lightyear Lego set that came with a small green man and his head comes off. Apparently Will thought it looked good enough to mouth on for a while (he is still really bad about putting things in his mouth) and he just got carried away.

He gagged for while and sort of threw up a little and we both cried and then Miles started crying and said, "We'll never finish my pirate ship now" (he doesn't handle emergencies well at this point).

We settled down by playing with the new playdoh Miles got and I calmed myself enough to call Jake.

It was a horrifying experience. But .... the pirate ship is complete, the Lego's are packed away, and Will told Jake on the phone, "The peece-min [policeman] says not to eat toys .... dey choke you".

All that before lunch - Heavens! What a day!!!

1 comment:

  1. Bless your heart! That sounds terrifying! I am glad that all three of you are okay. I am glad your first aid training came in handy. That makes me want to renew my first aid/cpr. Delaney has scared us a few times with choking/gagging/not catching her breath and it was verrry scary. You are a super mama!! We love y'all!

    ReplyDelete