Monday, March 22, 2010

India is 38 "chain days" away.

We had our third team meeting last night and I always leave with flushed cheeks. I have so much emotion about this trip. I am overwhelmed with how compelled I feel to go, how clear it is that God led me to this project and the excitement I feel. But I also have this undercurrent of anxiety. I am nervous to leave Jake and the boys (and our families). I remember the cab ride from the airport to the hotel when I was there before. In a short half hour, I was broken, ashamed (of my hat, earrings and other 'costly' things I had worn to travel), and emotionally frozen and in shock by all the pain I saw.

Even as I write this, my cheeks are burning. When I return this time, I will see an even deeper wound in humanity. Women who were stolen, sold or forced into this life and literally have no hope to escape ... none except through Christ. I am encouraged, though, that we will have the privelege of meeting a group of women who have seen God's power work in their lives in dramatic ways. I am humbled that we will be able to work alongside them. I am hopeful that we will be able to share hope and the love of Christ which "covers a multitude of sins".

To prepare my heart, I am reading "The Good News About Injustice" by Gary Haugen (President and CEO of International Justice Mission). One thing I know that we need prayer for is the anger that many of the women struggle with. You can imagine how they must grapple with a loving and just God and the depth of pain they've lived through. Please pray God will prepare me (and the whole team) spiritually for how to support these women in the few short days we are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment